Frequently Asked Questions
Pine Street Inn serves over 1,900 adult men and women across all of its programs each day. Nearly 900 individuals live in permanent supportive housing at 40 sites throughout greater Boston.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE SERVED BY PINE STREET INN?
WHO DOES PINE STREET INN SERVE?Pine Street Inn serves men and women of many different races, nationalities and religions. They range in age from 18 to 80+. Pine Street guests and tenants have a wide variety of backgrounds and speak numerous languages. Some have had little formal schooling, while others have advanced degrees. Many are unemployed, but a number have full- or part-time jobs. Some struggle with mental illness, disability, addiction, or isolation; and none has found affordable housing. With help, some guests are able to move beyond shelter fairly rapidly. But for many others, it takes time to regain stability and the confidence to face the world. Our services include outreach, health care, addiction counseling and recovery groups, and job training. We also give referrals to other service providers. Staff provides all guests and tenants with encouragement and the tools needed to reconnect with work, housing and community.
HOW DO MEN AND WOMEN FIND OUT ABOUT PINE STREET INN?Pine Street is well known in the metropolitan Boston community, with partnerships with numerous non-profit and governmental agencies which serve poor or homeless men and women. Most of our guests have heard about Pine Street Inn through friends, family members or other human service agencies.
HOW MANY EMPLOYEES ARE THERE?There are about 500 full- and part-time employees working at Pine Street in various houses and facilities throughout greater Boston.
WHAT IS THE ANNUAL BUDGET?Pine Street Inn’s annual budget is approximately $44 million.
HOW IS PINE STREET INN FUNDED?Pine Street is funded by individuals, foundations, corporations, city, state and federal governments.
HOW CAN I HELP?Pine Street Inn welcomes help from individuals and organizations who are willing to volunteer or make a financial contribution.
WHAT ARE PINE STREET INN’S OPERATING HOURS AND LOCATIONS?
IS PINE STREET INN OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?
DOES PINE STREET ACCEPT DONATIONS OF CLOTHING, FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD ITEMS?
Pine Street Inn is unable to accept any furniture donations.
HOW CAN I OBTAIN PERMANENT HOUSING THROUGH PINE STREET?
HOW CAN I CONTACT SOMEONE WHO MAY BE A GUEST AT PINE STREET INN?
HOW CAN MY SCHOOL/GROUP ORGANIZE A FUNDRAISER?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Fundraising.' Include your name and address and someone will reply to your message with more information.
You can also explore options by visiting our fundraising page found HERE
I'M WORRIED ABOUT A HOMELESS INDIVIDUAL ON THE STREET.
OTHER THAN GIVING HIM/HER MONEY, WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- If you are a resident or your business is located in the City of Boston and you have concerns about the well being of a homeless individual, please contact the Mayor's Hotline at 617.635.4500.
- If there is an emergency in your neighborhood involving a homeless person or you encounter a homeless individual engaged in illegal activity, please contact the Boston Police Department by dialing 911.
FOR HOMELESS SERVICES PROVIDERS:Please email email@example.com with the subject line 'Service Provider' if you are:
- A homeless service provider and would like to speak to your counterpart at Pine Street Inn.
- Currently coordinating a program or project for homeless individuals and need more information about a Pine Street model.
- Work with individuals moving out of a secured facility and need to speak to someone regarding Pine Street’s transitional programs.